Design Tools and Links for the Course
I'm here to guide you along.
Each Session in this course is divided into separate parts, plus an overview. Each part focuses on a different task or challenge but the unifying goal is to help you learn photoshop and apply it toward assignments and ultimately, portfolio quality work.
Here's what you'll find each session:
1. An Overview.
This is the agenda for the session and a basic outline for what the session covers. I've included a short overview each session.
2. Photoshop Tutorial & Links
I understand that it is difficult to navigate the endless choices of Photoshop tutorials online. In this course I make it easy and streamlined for you. I offer two tutorial paths - Both are well produced and provide a good foundation in Photoshop. It is your choice. You'll be able to complete the assignments using EITHER tutorial series.
The first tutorial series is free through Adobe Learning and it is included with your CC Photoshop purchase. The second series comes from Linkedin Learning and can be purchased for a monthly fee and canceled at any time.
Here is the Photoshop learning path we take in this course:
Session 1: You'll learn how to:
- Open a file (new and existing) (from Photoshop and Bridge)
- Move around/understand the Interface (a bit)
- Save files - and have a Naming Convention
- Understand these file types: .png, .pdf, .jpg, .psd (there is also .tiff, .gif and more)
- Resize, Pan and Zoom an image
- Straighten and Crop an Image
- Work (a bit) with Layers
- Know a few Shortcut Keys and using Rulers and Smart Guides
- Know a bit about Exporting
- Resize, Zoom and Pan an Image
- Change an image size proportionally
- Know what image size to choose for resizing
- Understand how layers work
- Turn layers on and off, select layers, reorder layers, name layers
- Know how to resize a layer
- Know how to embed a photo layer
- Understand how to create and use a background layer
- Adjust an image quality: Vibrance, brightness and contrast, hue and saturation
- Use Brush Tool: Hardness & Opacity
- Colors: Foreground and Background Colors, Choosing colors with the Color Picker, the Eye Dropper, the Swatches and Color Panel
- Make Selections - Marquee, Lasso tools, Object Select, Color Selections, etc.
- Create a Layer Mask
- Use Gradients to blend images
- Know Brush Tool essentials - Sizing, laying down transparent color, understanding Flow, Blend color with Multiply and Screen, use a pressure sensitive painting (tablet optional), using Mode, etc.
- Customize your brushes
- Edit and Retouch- Use the Spot Healing Brush, Content Aware Fill, Clone Stamp Tool
- Know the basic Blend Mode essentials
- Add Text to an Image & Edit Text
- Create a Graphic Shape
- Add a Shape to an Image
- Build a Custom Shape
- Use Filters: Know Filter Options - Filter Gallery
- Use Non-Destructive Editing Principles
- Use Smart Objects
- Apply Smart Filters
- Increase the Canvas Size
- Scale, Skew and Rotate with Free Transform
- Correct Perspective
- Warp Images
- Use Adjustment Layers
- Correct an unwanted color cast
- Improve contrast and brightness with Levels
- Adjust lighting in a photo with Levels
- Adjust the intensity of colors in a photo
- Understand the Histogram
- Remove and replace a background
- Clipping masks
- Use the Magic Wand Tool to Make Color Selections
- Use the Select Subject Tool
- Clean Up a Selection
- Select and Mask
- Use Composites with Masks
- A bit about Camera Raw
- Retouching Photos with new tools: Patch Tool & Healing Brush
- Brushes - Exploration
- GIFs & Quick Video
- Advanced Approaches and Curious Learning
Each session takes you through Ideation and the Creative Process. You'll learn about brainstorming, creating sketches and roughs, specialized techniques, creative approaches, and more.
Your session would not be complete without a chance to practice your newly formed Photoshop skills and apply those skills to course projects. In our self-directed course, I'll critique and provide feedback on every one.
5. Tools & Links:
In this course I've included curated links that I like to use and that you may find useful. These are recommendations and I don't endorse any product, so please choose the ones you like. More tools and links are available in downloadable PDFs throughout this course.