Creative Techniques for Advertising & Design
Master Approaches for a Smarter Portfolio
“Most ideas are a bit scary, and if an idea isn't scary, it's not an idea at all.” -- Lee Clow
Working from industry creative briefs you’ll build advertisements and designs for a variety of brands, products, and services to expand your portfolio.
This class will make you faster at finding that amazing, big idea. You’ll improve your thinking skills as you brainstorm strategies for design and advertising. This is a technique driven course where you’ll practice approaches used by professionals for unique, out-of-the-box solutions.
This course is for the:
- advertiser who wants work that stands out
- designer who wants to move to art direction with work that is memorable
- copywriter who wants to learn how to translate ideas into meaningful projects
- creative that wants work that wows! for their portfolio
- student who wants to start off on the right foot while building a creative book
In this course you’ll learn about and practice advertising and design techniques including:
- Symbols: For simple, smart communication
- Pair Up: Using the morphological matrix
- It Matters How You Say It: A copywriting technique
- Exaggeration: To push ideas further
- Speak for Yourself Brand: The classic technique, updated
It is time to your build creative arsenal.
- This course is open for enrollment and different sessions are offered throughout the year.
- This course meets weekly (live), for 6 Sessions, 5:30, Pacific Time, via ZOOM.
- Expect a 90 minute meeting (although class may run a bit shorter or longer).
- There are assignments due every week and weekly critiques in class. Please estimate 4-5 hours of homework each session.
- This is a rigorous course, and is open to all skill levels.
- Class size is limited as I want to make sure everyone gets a lot of attention.
- You will work on a variety of clients and techniques throughout the course.
- Enrollment in this course includes Free access to The Creative Process self-directed course.
- Once you're enrolled I will reach out via email with more information or contact me at [email protected] for specifics on times.
Years ago I saw that creative bootcamps, portfolio schools, and most design and ad programs aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. There is no good fit for the working adult or for the student who needs to learn remotely. Plus, the one-size-fits-all portfolio doesn’t work for career opportunities that are opening up in creative industries, every day.
As Co-founder of Portfolio Studio and Founder of Portfolio MasterClass, I’ve tailored my courses to fit HOW students want to learn through self-directed studies, small group learning, team, and one-on-one courses. The teaching methods I use can help you develop your creative thinking and unique talents for transformation.
My grads have landed jobs in top-notch agencies and studios in the US and around the world. They’ve won numerous awards including ADDYs, Clios, and recognition in publications including Print, Archive, CMYK, & Applied Arts.
When we work together, I’ll tailor a very specific path for you, to meet your career and creative goals.
"An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it." -- Bill Bernbach
"I learned countless lessons. I can honestly say I would never have gotten where I am without the personalized and attentive direction I received. My portfolio is light years ahead of where it was when I began."
- Dan Hawes, Copywriter, TDA Boulder
"I was pushed to be better than I thought I could ever be. I was taught to think differently in a way that made me so much stronger as an art director. "
- Sarah Thompson, Freelance Art Director
"Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read." -- Leo Burnett
Bonus - Enroll in Creative Techniques and Receive The Portfolio MasterClass Creative Process Course - For Free!
When you enroll in this course, you will be automatically enrolled in The Creative Process course - with full 24/7 access.
When do the courses start and finish?
If you choose a course that is self-paced, you decide when you start and when you finish.
If you want to upgrade to an instructor-led course or schedule a personalized portfolio or project review, we’ll reach out with dates and times.
How long do I have access to a course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to a course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with a course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.