About Headline Writing
Though a career in advertising will have you writing a multitude of different deliverables, no skill set is quite as valuable as writing headlines.
It requires you to take an entire strategy, insight and idea and to consolidate it into a single line.
It is not easy. But boy, oh boy, is it rewarding.
In Copywriting: Writing Headlines you’ll write hundreds, literally hundreds, of headlines. And as you do, I’ll help teach you and edit your lines so that by the end of the class you’ll have two campaigns centered around strong, witty and concise lines that you’ve written like a pro.
This is what separates the writers from the copywriters.
And it’s a must-have wordsmithing tool for any copywriter’s portfolio.
- Our First Class Session will be on April 21st. You can enroll on April 7th.
- We meet online once-a-week via video conference.
- This class meets on Wednesdays.
- We start at 6:00pm Pacific Time. I'll send a link using Google MEET.
- We will meet for 6 WEEKS - on the same night of the week (Wednesdays).
- Set aside 2 hours for our class meeting although our class may run longer.
- I cap this class at 7 students. I think that is the right number to give you a lot of personalized attention - and a small group always helps with ideas.
- Each week you'll find lessons to read and assignments on your portal. I've added links, recommendations and more. This is yours forever and you can check back to it anytime, 24/7.
I'll contact you with more specifics through email.
Without sounding too self absorbed, here's me in a nutshell:
- I enjoy short walks on the beach and even shorter headlines
- Still watch cartoons as an adult
- Coffee til cocktails
- Hemingway all day
- I don't mind starting a sentence with 'And' but find the Oxford comma unnecessary
- Did you know cable TV is considered a tax write off if you're a creative?
I was once where you were, but Portfolio MasterClass didn't exist yet, so I went to the Chicago Portfolio School to get my book (and life) together. From there I began my creative career as a copywriter at Ogilvy Chicago. I loved that place. After 4 years I headed to San Diego where I worked at a small shop called Vitro. Did that for 2 years before heading up to San Francisco where I currently work at BBDO. Throw in teaching in my off-hours for the last 4 years and you've got my resume.
Oh, and i've had more than one student win an Addy award with work from my class, so I must be doing something right. Write? Right.
Here's what is included:
- Six weeks of instructor-led training via weekly video conference
- Feedback on your writing and course assignments - every week
- Resources, Links, Articles and Copywriting Building Tools
- Opportunity to work with a senior ad agency writer and gain valuable industry insight
All for $795
- A monthly payment plan is available
Get started now!
Award-Winning Headline Campaign from My Class
I've taught Headline Writing for years and many of my students have won accolades. Here's work for the George Washington Museum in Mount Vernon by copywriter Steven Chu. Monique Lindsay provided the design. This headline-driven print campaign won a National ADDY award. Stephen is now a copywriter at Madwell in NYC.
When you pass this course, you'll earn a Certificate of Completion. Use your Certificate to validate your learning & share your Certificate on social media and with an employer.
When do the courses start and finish?
This is an instructor-led course and the start dates are listed. Once you're enrolled, I'll reach out to you with additional information.
If you want to schedule a personalized portfolio or project review, please see my coaching page.
How long do I have access to a course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to a course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with a course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.