So you want to be a copywriter? You've come to the right place.
Writing copy is a skill to be learned and honed. Writing headlines is quickly becoming a lost art, but one very much appreciated by recruiters. Building a campaign is a moving target.
I am here to help you with all of these things.
In this course, you'll be working to create a full campaign, full of great copy.
Along the way we'll look at good copy examples and bad ones. We'll dissect old pieces of work and entire campaigns. I'll talk about my own experiences in the industry, as well as what agencies are looking for in a good student portfolio.
If you choose to accept this mission, my course, you'll be writing quite a lot of headlines. I will then rip these headlines apart. And each week, the ripping will become less and less, until finally you emerge with multiple, campaign-worthy lines that we'll turn into an actual campaign (along with some other executions for good measure).
This class is for writers' writers. And it's a great step toward becoming a creative worthy of a job offer.
Join me; it's the write thing to do.
• Throughout this course, a primary goal will be to come up with one or two campaign ideas. This doesn’t mean a book-ready chunk of work, but rather a solid idea with executions that show a lot of promise. You’ll work with an art director later on to bring them to life.
- We'll meet online once-a-week via video conference.
- This class is held on Mondays.
- We start at 6:00pm Pacific Time. (We'll confirm this together to best meet everyone's schedules). I'll send a link using Google MEET.
- We will meet for 6 WEEKS - on the same night of the week.
- Set aside 2 hours for our class meeting although our class may run longer.
- I cap this class at 7 students. I think that is the right number to give you a lot of personalized attention - and a small group always helps with ideas.
- Each week you'll find lessons to read and assignments on your portal. I've added links, recommendations and more. This is yours forever and you can check back to it anytime, 24/7.
About a week before class starts I'll reach out to you via email.
" I am so, so happy I decided to sign up for Eric's class. His teaching is already helping me out in my new position at work—my headlines are sharper, shorter, and more strategic. He's the Creative Director I've never had and always wanted! I've told a few of my writing colleagues (and my new ACD) about this class and they're excited to read my headlines and hear about my progress. I honestly can't say enough good things."
- Vanessa Demske, Copywriter, Petco
Without sounding too self absorbed, here's me in a nutshell:
- I enjoy short walks on the beach and even shorter headlines
- Still watch cartoons as an adult
- Coffee til cocktails
- Hemingway all day
- I don't mind starting a sentence with 'And' but find the Oxford comma unnecessary
- Did you know cable TV is considered a tax write off if you're a creative?
I was once where you were, but Portfolio MasterClass didn't exist yet, so I went to the Chicago Portfolio School to get my book (and life) together. From there I began my creative career as a copywriter at Ogilvy Chicago. I loved that place. After 4 years I headed to San Diego where I worked at a small shop called Vitro. Did that for 2 years before heading up to San Francisco where I worked at BBDO. I spent a couple years at VMYL&R in Seattle and I’m now a CD at FCB in Chicago. Throw in teaching in my off-hours for the last 7 years and you've got my resume.
Oh, and i've had more than one student win an Addy award with work from my class, so I must be doing something right. Write? Right.
Here's what is included:
- Six weeks of instructor-led training via weekly video conference
- Feedback on your writing and course assignments - every week
- Resources, Links, Articles and Copywriting Building Tools
- Opportunity to work with a senior ad agency writer and gain valuable industry insight
All for $850
- A monthly payment plan is available
Get started now!
Award-Winning Work from this Course
I've taught Copywriting Campaigns for a few years and a good deal of student work has won accolades. Here's a campaign for Reyka Vodka by Eric Maury and Ben Foos that won ADDYs and ANDYs.
There is no assigned reading for this course, BUT I have built our lessons by taking a little inspiration from:
- The Advertising Concept Book by Pete Barry
And if you're feeling ambitious, here are the books that helped me and are still helping me as a writer. I highly recommend you read at least one of these.
- Hey Whipple, Squeeze This by Luke Sullivan
- The Idea Writers by Teressa Iezzi
- Pick Me by Janet Kestin
And if you're looking for a book about the shenanigans that went down when advertising was in its infancy, check out:
- From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor by Jerry Della Femina
- Get Smashed! by Sam Delaney
When you pass this course, you'll earn a Certificate of Completion and a Social Media Badge. Use your Certificate to validate your learning & share your Badge on social media and with an employer.
When do the courses start and finish?
This is an instructor-led course and the start dates are listed. Once you're enrolled, I'll reach out to you with additional information.
If you want to schedule a personalized portfolio or project review, please see my coaching page.
How long do I have access to a course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to a course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with a course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.