An Exploration of Copywriting with the Goal of a Complete Campaign - Starts Spring 2020
So you want to be a copywriter? You've come to the right place.
Writing copy is a skill to be learned and honed. Writing headlines is quickly becoming a lost art, but one very much appreciated by recruiters. Building a campaign is a moving target.
I am here to help you with all of these things.
In this course, you'll be working to create a full campaign, full of great copy.
Along the way we'll look at good copy examples and bad ones. We'll dissect old pieces of work and entire campaigns. I'll talk about my own experiences in the industry, as well as what agencies are looking for in a good student portfolio.
If you choose to accept this mission, my course, you'll be writing quite a lot of headlines. I will then rip these headlines apart. And each week, the ripping will become less and less, until finally you emerge with multiple, campaign-worthy lines that we'll turn into an actual campaign (along with some other executions for good measure).
This class is for writers' writers. And it's a great step toward becoming a creative worthy of a job offer.
Join me; it's the write thing to do.
• Throughout this course, a primary goal will be to come up with at least ONE campaign idea. This doesn’t mean a book-ready chunk of work, but rather a solid idea with executions that show a lot of promise. You’ll work with an art director later on to bring them to life.
We meet online once a week via video conference.
• We start at 6:30pm Pacific Time. I'm in San Francisco at BBDO and I work around my crazy schedule.
• We will meet for 6 WEEKS - on the same night of the week (Wednesdays).
• Set aside 2 hours for our class meeting although our class may run longer.
• I'll send a link using Google MEET.
• I cap this class at 7 students. I think that is the right number to give you a lot of personalized attention and a small group always helps with ideas.
• Each week you'll find lessons to read and assignments on your portal. This is yours forever and you can check back to it anytime.
I'll contact you with more specifics through email.
This course is not open for enrollment.
" I am so, so happy I decided to sign up for Eric's class. His teaching is already helping me out in my new position at work—my headlines are sharper, shorter, and more strategic. He's the Creative Director I've never had and always wanted! I've told a few of my writing colleagues (and my new ACD) about this class and they're excited to read my headlines and hear about my progress. I honestly can't say enough good things."
- Vanessa Demske, Copywriter, Petco
Without sounding too self absorbed, here's me in a nutshell:
- I enjoy short walks on the beach and even shorter headlines
- Still watch cartoons as an adult
- Coffee til cocktails
- Hemingway all day
- I don't mind starting a sentence with 'And' but find the Oxford comma unnecessary
- Did you know cable TV is considered a tax write off if you're a creative?
I was once where you were, but Portfolio MasterClass didn't exist yet, so I went to the Chicago Portfolio School to get my book (and life) together. From there I began my creative career as a copywriter at Ogilvy Chicago. I loved that place. After 4 years I headed to San Diego where I worked at a small shop called Vitro. Did that for 2 years before heading up to San Francisco where I currently work at BBDO. Throw in teaching in my off-hours for the last 4 years and you've got my resume.
Oh, and i've had more than one student win an Addy award with work from my class, so I must be doing something right. Write? Right.
Award-Winning Work from this Course
I've taught Copywriting Campaigns for a few years and a good deal of student work has won accolades. Here's a campaign for Reyka Vodka by Eric Maury and Ben Foos that won ADDYs and ANDYs.
For This Course You Will Need:
- A computer and an internet connection.
- Something to write with and something to write upon. I recommend a notepad or sketchbook.
- A word processing program like Google Docs or Word.
- Access to Google MEET. It is easy to set up and I'll share a link.
There is no assigned reading for this course, BUT I have built our lessons by taking a little inspiration from:
- The Advertising Concept Book by Pete Barry
And if you're feeling ambitious, here are the books that helped me and are still helping me as a writer. I highly recommend you read at least one of these.
- Hey Whipple, Squeeze This by Luke Sullivan
- The Idea Writers by Teressa Iezzi
- Pick Me by Janet Kestin
And if you're looking for a book about the shenanigans that went down when advertising was in its infancy, check out:
- From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor by Jerry Della Femina
- Get Smashed! by Sam Delaney
When you pass this course, you'll earn a Certificate of Completion and a Social Media Badge. Use your Certificate to validate your learning & share your Badge on social media and with an employer.
When do the courses start and finish?
This is an instructor-led course and the start dates are listed. Once you're enrolled, I'll reach out to you with additional information.
How long do I have access to a course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to a course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with a course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.