Develop Hirable Skills and Practices. Leave with Better Writing. Look for a new course in 2023
Learn to Craft Copy
Looking to make a living with your words? Want to get your foot into the advertising industry? Ready to start creating your portfolio? Then you’ve come to the right place.
Copywriting Basics is the first step towards understanding what goes into good copywriting, what goes into getting a job in advertising and what goes into crafting a portfolio to get you that job.
In this course you’ll learn the bread and butter of copywriting: The difference between a headline and a tagline. Why you should never start a line with “because.” And why a headline campaign is one of the strongest, and most difficult, assignments in the biz. Not to mention, you’ll learn a solid understanding of the industry as a whole.
If you’re ready to let your writing speak for itself, consider this class your rough draft.
- This course opens for enrollment again in 2023. Join the waitlist.
- We meet online once-a-week via video conference.
- This class meets one day per week.
- You'll receive a link for Google MEET.
- We will meet for 6 WEEKS - on the same night of the week (Wednesdays).
- Set aside 2 hours for our class meeting although our class may run longer.
- I cap this class at 7 students. I think that is the right number to give you a lot of personalized attention - and a small group always helps with ideas.
- Each week you'll find lessons to read and assignments on your portal. I've added links, recommendations and more. This is yours forever and you can check back to it anytime, 24/7.
I look forward to working with you.
"Eric goes well beyond being just a teacher—he’s an active partner in your success. He takes the time to really get to know his student, then tailors the course to their goals. For me, taking his course helped me understand what it meant to be a true writer’s writer. He helped me fill the holes in my portfolio and pushed me to achieve work that would gain recognition I never thought possible. The lines I wrote in Eric’s class are still some of the best in my book. Whether you're a seasoned writer or someone new to advertising, I highly recommend taking Eric’s class."
- Eric Maury, Copywriter Cult-Health NYC
Without sounding too self absorbed, here's me in a nutshell:
- I enjoy short walks on the beach and even shorter headlines
- Still watch cartoons as an adult
- Coffee til cocktails
- Hemingway all day
- I don't mind starting a sentence with 'And' but find the Oxford comma unnecessary
- Did you know cable TV is considered a tax write off if you're a creative?
I was once where you were, but Portfolio MasterClass didn't exist yet, so I went to the Chicago Portfolio School to get my book (and life) together. From there I began my creative career as a copywriter at Ogilvy Chicago. I loved that place. After 4 years I headed to San Diego where I worked at a small shop called Vitro. Did that for 2 years before heading up to San Francisco where I worked at BBDO. I spent a couple years at VMYL&R in Seattle and I’m now a CD at FCB in Chicago. Throw in teaching in my off-hours for the last 7 years and you've got my resume.
Oh, and i've had more than one student win an Addy award with work from my class, so I must be doing something right. Write? Right.
Here's what is included:
- Six weeks of instructor-led training via weekly video conference
- Feedback on your writing and course assignments - every week
- Resources, Links, Articles and Copywriting Building Tools
- Opportunity to work with a senior ad agency writer and gain valuable industry insight
All for $850
- A monthly payment plan is available
- This course can be taken as part of a multi-course Copywriting Series at a Bundled Price
This course is closed for enrollment.
When you pass this course, you'll earn a Certificate of Completion. Use your Certificate to validate your learning & share your Certificate on social media and with an employer.
When do the courses start and finish?
This is an instructor-led course. Dates for the course is listed, but I'll reach out with any additional details you'll need.
If you want to schedule a personalized portfolio or project review, please see my coaching page.
How long do I have access to a course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to a course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with a course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.